Thursday, July 17, 2008

The fun of shattering prejudices

So my Bible study on Thursdays is a lot of fun for me. It's a wonderful class, with one student who is very open and honest about what she thinks. In almost every lesson, she is completely surprised by what she reads. We discovered today that this is because of her prejudice of the Bible. She has this pre-concieved idea of what the Bible is about. Most people do. I imagine that most people think the Bible is this "holy, dry, boring book that tells us what to do." Little did she know that the Bible is actually rated R! haha. The Bible is a book about humanity. Actually it's about the relationship of humanity and God, and what God is doing to fix the broken relationship. So it's got all the messy details you'd find in the worst kind of divorce. But God's still trying to fix the relationship. It's amazing.

This is one of the best things about teaching the Bible. The basic shock vaule of it. When people find out what's really in the Bible, it's great to watch their expressions and have them grasp it for the first time.

I guess that's all the reward I need most days. I just like shocking people. haha. It's fun.

No comments: