Friday, October 10, 2008

Stories from class.


Today in my adult class, we had some interesting stories. The first picture is about a cat who is a station master at a rural small train station. This cat's name is Tama. Here is a picture of her at her job. She even wears a hat! Apparently this is a small local line. Sometimes these stations will have no attendants during the day. This cat seemed to want the job, and became a local celebrity. Soon news was all over Japan, and this cat has become a popular sight seeing attraction. I was told today that the cat has caused about 39 million dollars to pour into the local economy there. Talk about good for business.

Under the cat is a sign telling her working hours. During the summer she works 9-5. Winter is 10-4:30 and Sunday's are her day off. This picture was given to me by one of my students who loves cats.
Next is a picture of one of my more talented students. This student has been taking art classes, and he is quite good. When I showed pictures from Texas, he copied two pictures and combined them to make his own picture of the Texas sunset. Quite amazing. And I must say, I'm VERY jealous of his ability. haha (below are the two pictures he used as inspiration... He ended up not using the pump jack because it was a bit difficult to draw...)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shihu,

Greetings, may name is Bill Priestley and I am a history teacher in Fayetteville, NC at Fayetteville Christian School. Recently, I have assigned my students to do a paper on their passion (or something they are interested in). One of my students has aspirations of being a missionary in Japan - much like you.

I have suggested to the class to get an interview with someone in their field of choice and my student found your blog and wanted me to contact you on her behalf to see if you would be interested in answering a few questions regarding your life in Japan. She kind of found you at the last minute - her paper is due a week from Friday (the 21st of November). So if you are interested, please go to www.fayettevillechristian.com/staffdirectory.php, find my e-mail link and me your e-mail address, I will pass it onto my student who can e-mail you directly.

I know my student would love the chance to know what it is like to be a missionary in Japan so any assistance you pass onto us would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards in Japan,

Bill Priestley
Fayetteville Christian School
Fayetteville, NC