Saturday, June 18, 2011

Sometimes you just feel like a first grader...

Teaching English conversation gives me a great perspective of different stages of learning development. I teach from 2 years old, up to 80 something.

And you have to treat each age a little differently.

6th graders who cry in class are crying for different reasons than 1st graders crying in class. So you have to adapt and roll with them.

Some ages are easier than others.

But sometimes, you recognize fragments of yourself in your students.

It's like looking in a mirror. Sometimes it's how you used to be. Sometimes it's how you are.

Today, I feel like a first grader.

You know, when you keep trying to do things, but your coordination just isn't up to it. You are trying to play with the big kids, but you can't keep up. The toys fall. The pencil just doesn't want to work the way you want it to. All the little things add up, and then finally you just sit down and cry in frustration.

Yeah, this is one of those times. Not really profound or anything, just frustrated.

I think I need a nap.

This first grader is getting grumpy.

(sorry if you were expecting something deep and enlightening. Sometimes first graders say profound things, but not this first grader, not today.)

Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to play with the big kids...

1 comment:

Katy said...

This made me laugh. :D
And it's more profound than you may think; I know exactly what you mean. ;)
God Bless, Amber!
-Katy