Monday, October 03, 2011

7 years ago.

7 years ago at this time, I was on an airplane, drawing ever closer and closer to my new home. It was exciting.

In the seat to my left sat/slept the girl who would share 2 1/2 years of experience with me. To my right was an old man who liked to talk (to me) and who apparently thought the girl next to me was my daughter. (I'm not THAT much older than she is!) It was an "interesting" plane ride.

Thus began 7 years of being a foreigner. I've ridden on trains, eaten raw fish (and enjoyed it), bathed with strangers (and friends, which might be more awkward...), said stupid things in bad Japanese, actually managed to communicate in Japanese, made friends, had epiphanies, been amazed by the culture, and been frustrated by the culture, missed out on important events in my friends and families lives, seen a baptism of a man I knew, sang karaoke, learned to play the guitar, broken my foot, broken and mended my heart countless times, fallen in love and struggled to grow closer to God. I've learned how to teach English, learned about Jr. High Schools and Elementary schools, been told I look like a doll who knows how many times, forgotten how to say things in English, and have seen and done many more things.

I've done more in 7 years than some people do in their lifetimes.

I am blessed.


I am thankful for my time in Japan. And no matter how much I may be frustrated, I always remember, I'm living in Japan. And somehow this makes my frustration a little less.

I am fortunate.

So, here's Glory to the God that made it all possible. 7 years in the land I love.

Thank you Father.

2 comments:

Paula Rae Thomas said...

Great scripture references.:)

Joni said...

Neat post. Can only imagine what more God will do with your next 7 years. Exciting. ^-^