Saturday, December 04, 2004

of "un-disappointments"

Yes, it's an odd title, but you have to understand, I am used to being disappointed. It had always seemed that whenever I really looked forward to something, I would inevitably be disappointed. So this whole concept of what I look forward to actually being fun is a new thing for me. So far, these past months have been wonderfully full of un-disappointments. I really am having the time of my life.

My latest un-disappointment happened today. I have been looking forward to meeting with my new language partner for a while (not that I dislike my old one, she is wonderful and I really enjoy meeting with her as well). Today was finally the day. We met in a famous meeting place and walked around for a while talking (yes, mostly in English because really, I don't think I can carry on a full conversation in Japanese yet). We wandered around and found the Meiji Shrine. So we decided to check it out. The trees are turning colors (he taught me the word for this, but alas, I have forgotten) and some were quite beautiful. It was a nice walk and we had good conversation. He is not only very interested in learning about English and America, he also seems to be very interested in Christianity. He brought it up several times in the conversation. After the shrine we sat for a while in Wendy's and he very kindly made me have a conversation in Japanese with him. I really like the fact that he insisted on teaching me as well as me teaching him. It was fun. Then we went to another place for dinner. All in all it was a nice day. I spent about 6 hours total with my new language partner, which even beats my record with my old one (of course I can stay out to outrageous hours like midnight with her because we live in the same area and don't have to worry about catching the last trains home). I am definitely looking forward to the next meeting (assuming I can find time for it again). The amusing part of the day was when he seemed very nervous that I wouldn't be able to find my way back home on the trains (we had walked several stations away from where we started). I don't know why he thinks I can't figure out the trains. I have been living here for two months now. I actually had the train system down pretty much my first week here, so I take it for granted I guess. But I definitely had to assure him that I would be ok. When I told him to be safe too (I am used to telling all my friends that) he told me he would be fine, he is Japanese. I had to smile at that, but I let it go.

So yes. Today was nice. I slept in, had a good hair day, and spent 6 hours with a new language partner. Who could ask for more? Life is good.

No comments: