Saturday, November 20, 2004

of the Amazing Japanese

Yes, I know, this is my second post of the day. I am awful chatty today I suppose. But then again, I generally have a lot to say. Eventually I will write up a background post explaining everything up until here. But for now I will stick with today's events.

Today after my wonderful CD wrapping experience, I came home, blogged, and then made my way to the local church here for a "Family Music Night." Now when I was invited to this, I really wasn't expecting much. It was explained as a night where the kids would play some piano, and there would be various other musical numbers by some adults as well. (Hence the word Family in the title) My friend who invited me was going to sing, so I thought I should go to show my support. Honestly, I wasn't expecting all that much. I was envisioning your typical "piano recital" type evening. In a word, boring.

Well, like so much else here, I got something totally different than I expected. It was wonderful. The kids were amazingly talented (1st and 3rd graders, it was amazing!) and it just got better from there. One duet was astonishing, the man played the guitar and the woman sang. I felt like I should have bought tickets or maybe a CD. The first song she sang was great. Picture a Kentucky state fair with someone (Loretta Lynn maybe) singing an old folk song. Now picture it with Japanese words. It was great. And the woman was very talented. (I found out later she has a band here that plays locally) The second song was a beautiful goodbye song. Then there was a man who played the flute, then he played the violin, then he played the piano. The first time he was with a group, second time was a duet with the piano, and the third he was solo. It was amazing, each time, he played better than before! (This man is a truly amazing person. I will tell more about him in a bit.) There was harmonica playing ("A Mighty Fortress" on a harmonica: strange, but good.) and a small stringed instrument (I can't for the life of me remember what it's called, but it reminded me of a really fat, round ukeleile). And then there was an amazing piano duet (two people playing on the same piano). Everyone was so talented. Just when I would think that I had listened to the best of the evening, yet another talented person would step up. I know I have overused this word, but really, it was amazing. I was so glad I went.

And then, to top off the evening, remember the man who played all those instruments I promised to tell more about? Yes, he is amazing. He helped me last week set up internet in my apartment. He is good with computers and his English is wonderful. While he was in my apartment, he noticed that I like anime. He asked me if I watched it on TV. I had to tell him that my TV didn't work. He felt sorry for me and said that he had an old one he could give me if I wanted. I felt bad and said it was ok, I didn't really need a TV, and there would probably be one when I moved to my next site. Well, today when I went to the music night, he pulled me aside and told me he had brought a TV for me. I was shocked. The man had his family there, he had prepared three musical pieces (on three different instruments no less) and he was involved with running the sound system, and in the midst of all that, he remembered to bring me a TV! Then he tells me that it is small and old, so I might not want it. Yeah, it's about a 15 inch flat panel TV. I couldn't buy that thing used in the states for under $300 probably. But I might not want it. Right. That's a tough call there.

Wow. I feel so blessed. Now my problem is that I don't know how to say thank you. He has gone out of his way to be kind to me, and there is really not much I can do to repay him. (he is not the only one to be this kind by the way.) He seems to be very involved in this church, and I thank God that there are people like him here. It makes me glad to be here. It is also good to know (and be reminded) that even though I am a missionary here, I am also being ministered to. The people in these churches basically provide everything for me and the other missionaries. I think it is a wonderful thing. It is comforting to know that I am completely vulernable here, yet I am being abudantly taken care of. All my needs and far more are seen to by these wonderful, caring people.

Yes, Japan is full of Amazing people.

No comments: