Thursday, March 23, 2006

of nabe and turning tables...

For any who are interested, here's the low down on the nabe party. (that finished like 10 mins ago)

The grand total of people in my house at one time tonight was 17! But I must say, this is one of the strangest parties I have ever thrown. It took a complete 180 on me.

So I invited everyone over to my house, because I am very thankful for their friendship and their kindness. Well, I started by asking, "whats a good day?" and I'm pretty sure from that point on, I was no longer in control of anything. They just took over. They decided what to eat, they brought the nabe pots (I don't have any) and they bought and paid for all the food. (refusing to let me pay).

I don't know if I have ever gone grocery shopping with 7 people before, but that's what we did today. Good thing we went to a larger store, or it would have been crazy. But it's good to know that 1 mon yen can feed 17 people with no trouble.

Then they came in my house, and completely took over. They did most of the cooking (I cooked mashed potatoes and gravy by request because, I don't know, they wanted me to cook something) and then they cleaned after wards too.

It turned into a kinda mini-farewell party for me. I don't know why, but several people seemed a little sad that I would be gone for two weeks. One girl almost cried! (which is funny because I don't even see her every week, because she doesn't always come). The funny thing is that I don't even talk to most of these people, mainly because of the language barrier. But they seem to be getting just as attached to me as I am to them. (or maybe it's Japanese politeness... They could be really good actors).

The evening was kinda overwhelming for me. I'm tired now. (I had to pack and clean my house today first) It was a whole heck of a lot of Japanese all around me, so I really didn't participate much. (of course, I'm not a large group person either. I prefer small groups)

But I guess the point is that I had a really good time. The party wasn't what I intended. I wanted to show them that they were important to me, but it kinda turned out the other way around. I'm really thankful for this Blessing to me that God has provided. I can only pray that He returns the blessings back to them.

I will leave tomorrow for my flight home. I don't know if it's really hit me yet though. These past few weeks have been a blur. It's crazy how these things sneak up on you.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble so much, but I guess it's how I process things, I need to tell people about them. Good news is you can not read this and I would never know! ;-)

Post 99

No comments: